Happy New Year!
Our new IB Theme is How We Organize Ourselves. We will be looking at how a community meets the needs of its members. We will be walking to City Hall on January 26th to role-play a City Council meeting! You are welcome to join us if you are able. In addition, the Third Grade Marketplace event will be on January 31. Students will be producers and consumers in this fun, real-world economics experience.
In Math, we are beginning division. Please make sure your student is practicing his/her multiplication facts!! They must become very fluent (and quick!) in order to solve upcoming problems.
Also, nightly reading will increase from 20 min to 30 minutes in order to build reading stamina. You and your child may choose the reading material (including Achieve 3000) but it is important to be able to read for longer and longer periods of time. Thank you so much for your help in this area.
Third grade is going to be awesome this year! I cannot wait to meet all of my new students. (I miss my students that are moving to 4th grade--but there is room in my heart for all of you<3).
Here's a few things about me, in case you were interested:
1. I have 3 daughters and 3 dogs. The daughters are quite wonderful. The dogs are a little bit naughty. Jimmy is the naughtiest. He will eat anything he can get his paws on. He leaves a mess just about everywhere. Daisy and Henry, the other dogs, have better manners.
2. I sometimes dress as the StoryQueen and tell stories.
3. I am married, but my husband is not really a king. And I don't really live in a castle, but I probably could build a castle out of the books that I have.
4. Speaking of books, I write them. I have written 12 books for children with 3 more on the way (2016, 2018, and 2019). Sometimes I write about what it is like to be a teacher and a writer here. Or, you can read about my books themselves here.
This book was dedicated to the students of Jefferson!!!
5. I never eat cereal for breakfast. That is because when I was little, I ate cereal for breakfast every single school day. That was 12 years, (13 if you count kindergarten, which I do), 180 school days each year. If you do the math, 180 x 13 = 2,340 bowls of cereal, which is quite a lot for anyone in a life time.
6. I love reading about places far away. I love to read before I go to bed. Bed is my favorite place to read.
7. I run every day. I do not run far and I do not run fast, but I do drag myself out of bed each morning and have a little bit of a jog before school each day. It helps my brain get ready for the day.
8. I love Star Wars. I own three pairs of Star Wars shoes. Seriously.
Looking forward to meeting all of you in person soon!