Jefferson Elementary has a very active Parent Teacher Association. Check back frequently as we'll be posting all sorts of information about what we do and ways for every parent to get involved throughout the year.
PTA UPDATES - May
Multicultural Festival Saturday, May 18 10am to 3pm
Jefferson PTA invites your family to attend the Multicultural Festival this coming Saturday, May 18th. If your child will be performing, please be sure to have them go to their classrooms 15 minutes before their performance.
Wristband, tickets and raffle tickets will be on sale Monday, May 13 through Friday, May 17 before and after school. For our Kinder families the same timeframe at Kinder drop off and pick up.
Please sign up to volunteer for the Festival on the board before and after school as well. We still donations of juice boxes, canned beverages and sport drinks, whole fruit (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, oranges (cuties), cucumbers, cakes, cupcakes and cookies. Contact Michelle Fourmont with any questions at email@example.com.
Multicultural Festival 2013 Performance Schedule:
· 10:00 AM - Welcome: Chad Lund, Principal
· 10:05 AM - 4th & 5th Grade Band/Banda
· International Welcome - MC
· 10:35 AM - Kindergarten
· 10:55 AM - 4th Grade / 4° Grado
· 11:15 AM - 1st Grade / 1° Grado
· 11:35 AM - 5th Grade / 5° Grado
· 11:55 PM - 3rd Grade / 3° Grado
· 12:15 PM - Read Across America Pizza Pie Eating Contest
· 12:45 PM - 2nd Grade / 2° Grado
· 1:05 PM - Jazzercise Dance Party
· 1:30 PM - Silent Auction Announcements
· 1:30 PM - 3rd, 4th & 5th Grade Choir
· 2:00 PM - Drill Team
· 2:15 PM - Gift Basket Drawing
· 2:30 PM - Silent Auction Ends
***If you have 6ft tables or popups, the MCF committee is in desperate need of them. Please leave them in the volunteer room or auditorium with your name and phone number clearly marked on them.*** Thank you!
Jefferson Band Concert on Thursday, May 16 at 1pm
Come hear the band live in the auditorium!
PTA Parent Meeting – Common Core Standards- Thursday, May 16 at 6:30pm will be held at Calavera Hills Elementary
Carlsbad Unified Council of PTAs (which includes Jefferson Elementary PTA) is hosting a special parent information night about Common Core, the new state educational standards initiative.
Coffee and dessert will be served. All are welcome!
Read Across America Awards – Monday, May 20th
The awards will be given by grade level in the school auditorium and parents are welcome to attend. Grade level schedule:
8:30 - 9:15 am Grade 2
9:15 - 10:00 am Grade 5
10:00 - 10:45 am Kindergarten
10:45 - 11:30 am Grade 3
1:00 - 1:45 pm Grade 4
1:45 - 2:30 pm Grade 1
Carlsbad Unified School Board Meeting – May 22 at 6pm
Meeting will be held at the Carlsbad Unified School District Office, 6225 El Camino Real, Carlsbad.
Jefferson Scholastic Book Fair
Held in our library from Tuesday, May 28 to Monday, June 3, 2013.
The book fair cannot run without volunteers. Helpers are needed before school, during recess and lunch, and after school. Volunteers are also needed on Open House Night on Thursday, May 30, 2013. Special positions are available for co-chair and grandparents’ event planner. Stop by the library to sign up, or contact Kathy Tom at 760-331-5588 or firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to seeing you at the fair!
Open House & 5th Grade Exhibition
The more you know about Jefferson Elementary School, the more you’ll want to be a part of the Jefferson experience! Join us on Thursday, May 30 at 6:00pm.
The Exhibition is a requirement for our 5th grade students. Our students are required to participate in a collaborative, transdisciplinary inquiry process that involves them in identifying, investigating and offering solutions to real-life issues or problems.
Our students will plan the exhibition, gather materials, record and reflect, and finally present the exhibition to the Jefferson community.
IB Classroom Tour – Friday, May 31st at 8:45 am
Parents, prospective parents, educators, and the Carlsbad community are invited on a special tour of Jefferson highlighting IB from Kinder to 5th grade. See student work in the classroom and learn about the International Baccalaureate curriculum.
IB Awards Ceremony on Friday, June 7 at 8:15am
Please join in the celebration of our overall IB student awards.
Volunteers needed for Jefferson Elementary School 2013 Olympics (Grades 3-5)
The Olympics will be held on Monday June 3rd through Friday,
June 7. Please let your child’s teacher know if you are available to volunteer for this fun event or contact Whitney Castellanos (our P.E. Specialist) at email@example.com.
Volunteer Room Clean-up – Wednesday, June 5th 8:15 am
All parents welcome to help with an important spring cleaning of the Volunteer Room (302).
Outstanding Educational Program Nominees
Each year, the business community comes together to recognize the best and brightest academic programs. This year at Jefferson Elementary our 3rd grade team of teachers and their program -
“Future Visionaries: The Eye Discovery Lab” is a finalist. The students were able to dissect cow and sheep eyeballs from a grant that was written by our PTA grant writing committee chaired by Jefferson parent Dana Rangel. What a great experience for our students to research, study and learn first hand the functions of our eyes. The students exhibited many of the IB Attitudes during the process such as appreciation, cooperation, curiosity, and enthusiasm. It was great to see the kids be such great risk-takers as they took turn dissecting the eyeballs!
Jefferson Elementary PTA Board needs a TREASURER
The specific duties and responsibilities of the treasurer include:
• Assuring all PTA funds are promptly deposited into one or more bank accounts where PTA funds are maintained separate from funds of any other organization;
• Keeping an accurate and very detailed account of all funds received and all funds disbursed;
• Paying all authorized financial obligations of the PTA, including membership service fees due to the council (if any) or the State PTA, in a timely manner; Preparing and filing the appropriate
federal tax forms (990 EZ or 990) in a timely manner;
• Preserving all receipts, invoices, bank statements, canceled checks, and other financial records as specified in the records retention timetable;
• Submitting a detailed, written monthly financial report at each meeting of the PTA membership and board of directors;
• Submitting written reports by mail or email to the board during months when there are no meetings;
• Developing and presenting, with support of the budget committee, the budget for the following year;
• Submitting a final annual report prior to the end of the fiscal year;
• Prior to delivery of the books to the successor treasurer, submitting the current year’s records to a financial review committee.
Local Control Funding Formula-Executive Summary
The Governor’s new LCFF would replace the current model of funding schools with a more streamlined formula and remove most existing spending restrictions. As a result, the majority of currently required categorical activities—including purchasing instructional materials, conducting professional development, and providing supplemental instruction—instead would be left to districts’ discretion. The LCFF would begin in the 2013-14 fiscal year, and would be implemented over a seven-year period. LCFF resources for you to look at:
Please do not hesitate to contact Lisa Kelly, PTA President with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most Recently Updated 4/21/2013